If you are thinking about spending a semester at one of our partner universities in Scotland, then please hurry. It is still possible to study and/or work in the UK with Erasmus funding – but only until spring 2023! Two more years then before the UK and thus Scotland will no longer be part of the EU Erasmus scheme.

No changes to Erasmus funding (yet), but Post-Brexit new visa und health insurance regulations have come into force. We have compiled a list of the most important things you will have to consider for your studies and internships in Scotland.

Please note: We will no longer send our students for more than 6 months to one of our Scottish partner universities.

For if you are enroled as a student for less than 6 months, you will not require visas and can enter the UK with your EU passport (“Reisepass”), which will have to be valid for the whole term of your stay. Your ID card (“Personalausweis”) is no longer valid for entering the UK but you might need your ID card for proof of address. As a short term student, you will no longer be allowed to do paid or unpaid work in the UK.

You can continue to use your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), which is on the back of your health insurance card, to get access to national health services (NHS). Note that you may not receive all of the services you would receive at home, as the Scottish health system differs from the German one. Additionally, we advise you to organise travel insurance to avoid extra costs. The DAAD provides an insurance package that includes health insurance, accident insurance as well as liability insurance and costs €69 per month.


Study in Glasgow (without ERASMUS)

Every semester, the University of Glasgow nominates two students of Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz to study in Glasgow for a semester with a full tuition waiver and a stipend awarded by the University of Glasgow. This is not an ERASMUS scholarship, but an exchange based on the direct partnership between the two universities, an exchange open to students from all departments except Medicine and Pharmacy. Students who are interested can apply as described here: Partnerschaftsstipendien der JGU | Studium an der JGU ( Information about course offerings and practical matters can be found here: University of Glasgow - Study - Visiting students - Study Abroad & Exchange Programmes at Glasgow


Study (more than 6 months)

For a longer stay, you will have to apply for a student visa. You can apply up to 6 months before the start of your term, visas are usually confirmed within 3 weeks. It costs £348 to apply for a student visa from outside the UK.

Make sure to bring your health insurance card, which includes the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), and don’t forget to organize additional travel insurance to avoid unexpected charges! The DAAD provides an insurance package that includes health insurance, accident insurance as well as liability insurance and costs €69 per month.


Useful links for more information

General information on Brexit

Information for students who are planning a semester abroad in Scotland